In this post we would like to talk to you about the characteristics of SEO translation . It is one of the most important aspects within this specialization of professional translation: the translation of web pages . For this reason, from our company of translators in Seville , AGORA Translations, we hope that this article will be of use to you.
You may also be interested in how to translate and position a website
The professional translators web pages are having more relevance in all sectors of our society.
Given the lack of an extensive bibliography on the subject, except for a few titles like, we want to share with you some of the specifications of website translation .
Due to the fact that the type of reading on screen is very different from that of paper (reading on screen is based on scanning the texts in search of the desired information), web texts are characterized by the use of individual paragraphs and for its brevity.
In addition, the choice of the appropriate vocabulary is essential for the positioning of web pages in search engines and to improve the usability of the web .
We must also take into account that visitors stay on the web for an average of two minutes (at most), time we have to offer them the most relevant information in the most direct way possible.
All these characteristics directly affect the translation of this type of text, very different from the translation of legal texts (for example), which require the use of extreme precision and agreement between the different versions.
The challenges of web writing and translation are related to readability, brevity and cross-cultural understanding. We can summarize some of the considerations to take into account in the SEO translation of the webs in:
- Place important words at the beginning of the sentence, especially in the metatitles and meta descriptions: SEO requirements mean that in web translation there is no place for the nominal paragraphs before the name to which they refer or the adverbial phrases at the beginning of the sentence.
- Terminology: also due to SEO requirements and the need to offer up-to-date texts, web translation requires the use of current terminology based on web trends. For this we have tools like Google Trends , which allows us to check and compare the trend of different keywords.
- Being able to cope with variety: web translation includes a wide variety of texts that will vary depending on the client for whom we work ( translation of texts on tourism , art, literature, technical translations …). For this reason, in many cases a preliminary investigation and the preparation of a small glossary on the subject in question will be necessary.
- Approach texts from a traditional or functional perspective: while creativity is valued in literary translation, in web translation it is essential to analyze the role and position of each element on the web page or even the position of each page on the global web , with what creativity is in the background.
- Analysis of the receiver: finally, and as with other types of translation, web translation also requires a meticulous study of the receiver of the texts and a careful style adapted to web design, users, type of product for sale, etc.